Friday, April 6, 2007

the first time i heard "wow..."

Looking back to my last year in high school, I wasn’t really sure what course I would take. But fate intervened and led my feet to the point where I am now. Doubts hindered me first, but since I don’t have any choice, I decided to take up Bachelor in Journalism. I do love writing and that was the very first reason why I chose it. Yet, I wasn’t aware that choosing this career would cause others to ask questions, questions that sometimes make me lose hope.
Every time they ask me of my course, they would just politely nod or out rightly ask why. And I, on the other hand would just remain tongue-tied, for I know, even if I speak, they would not understand. Better if you don’t talk so you would hear nothing.
However, there came a time when those questions bothered me. And I was brought to the edge of thinking whether I will still continue or shift to another course. I was really discourage by the negative words coming from other people saying that it’ll be hard for me to look for a job once I graduated. They also say that you can’t earn money with such kind of work. And that, journalists at present are being killed with or without reasons. But still, I tightened my grip and told myself that I can do it no matter what.
I must admit, I feel a mixture of fear and hate whenever I hear such words. Fear because it is true that journalists’ life is always at risk and mine would be placed in trouble as well if I will become one of them. Hate because why would they discourage me when it is my choice? And it is what I want. Not because of the power that the press has but because I firmly believe that journalists can do something to save the country’s weakening state. To expose and propagate the truth and let the people know everything good or bad, through writing.
That was the real reason why I still continue pursuing this career. And it made me more inspired when somebody asked me one time what my course is, and when I answered “Journalism po,” he burst out with a “WOW!” I saw in his face that he was genuinely proud of me. And I was filled with so much gladness for hearing that word for the first time.
With all hopes and determination, I am now here waiting for another year-my last year in college. Though this will not be the end, I am very glad that in the three years that passed, I experienced interacting and interviewing different people- celebrities, politicians and ordinary men. I also reached different places when we are assigned on beats or asked to cover a certain event. I learned more about the media and its present condition. And I am truly proud that I belong to the few who experience those.
Despite all the hardships in pursuing goals, we need to endure it and believe that we can reach it. There might be challenges and difficulties but we should remember that it would take much time and effort for a person to achieve all his dreams. In the cycle of life, triumphs and defeats would always come around. With all of these, only a heart filled with enthusiasm and a person who is truly determined will live on and win in the battles of life.

No comments: